‘All About Spelling’ is an excellent spelling curriculum that so much more than memorization. This program makes the important link between phonics and spelling in a logical interactive way. There are 7 levels and the parent/teacher is given step-by-step lesson plans, leading the student through each concept or spelling rule and building the essential foundation needed for an excellent educational experience.
Rather than a simple list of words, All About Spelling uses letter tiles, sound cards, phonogram cards, word cards and key cards to teach and reinforce how words are built. It also suggests the use of a review box to ensure that the student doesn’t forget what has been taught and to practice in exactly the areas they need it.
- Multisensory – students see, hear and touch the words
- Develops strong readers as well as spellers
- Step-by-Step Lesson Plans are well written, simple, and logical
- Review Box – it works!
- Go at your own pace – take a month or a year to complete a level
- Time consuming for parent/teacher – depending on how many children you are teaching and at how many levels, this program may take up too much time. However, the phrase “pay me now, pay me later” comes to mind!
Personally, ‘All About Spelling’ is a great program that teaches phonics as well as spelling. I tend to think of spelling as one of those subjects where you can have the kids working independently, but this curriculum definitely requires interaction. If the product is kids who can read and spell with excellence, then it’s worth it!